The Agree to Terms Checkbox module adds a checkbox to your WooCommerce Checkout page that allows you to ask your customers to consent to your Terms and Conditions before completing their order.
The agree to terms checkbox links to your Terms and Conditions page that informs your customers about your rules, helps them understand that they are getting into a legally binding contract with your store, and protects you from future complaints and litigation.
Merchant’s Agree to Terms Checkbox module seeks ‘active consent’, meaning that the checkbox is unchecked by default, and the customer needs to check it before submitting the checkout form — this workflow is in compliance with the requirements of modern consumer protection laws and regulations around the world.
In the screenshot below, you can see an example of an agree to terms checkbox added by Merchant to a WooCommerce checkout page:
Let’s see how to configure and enable Merchant’s Agree to Terms Checkbox module.
1. Create a Terms and Conditions Page
First, you need to create a Terms and Conditions page for your store so that you can link to it from the module’s settings page.
In your WordPress admin area, click the Pages > Add New menu to create a new page. Alternatively, you can click the Add New button at the top of the Pages admin page:
Once the page editor opens, insert your Terms and Conditions, then publish the page:
Note that you’ll need to copy the URL of the published page into the module’s settings to add the agree to terms checkbox to your checkout page.
2. Open the Agree to Terms Checkbox Module
Next, open your Merchant dashboard by clicking the Merchant menu in the left sidebar of your WordPress admin area.
Under the Protect Store heading, click the Agree to Terms Checkbox module to open its settings page:
3. Configure Your Agree to Terms Checkbox
On the module’s page, you get access to the following options:
- Label – This is the first, unlinked part of the text that will be shown next to the checkbox (default text: ‘I agree with the’).
- Terms and conditions text – This is the second part of the text that will link to your Terms and Conditions page (default text: ‘Terms & Conditions’).
- Terms and conditions link – Here, you need to insert the URL of your Terms and Conditions page that you created in the previous step.
- Checkbox warning text – This is the error message that Merchant will show your customers if they try to submit the checkout form without accepting your terms and conditions (default text: ‘You must read and accept the terms and conditions to complete checkout.’).
Note that you need to fill in all the fields to make the module work:
Once all the settings are configured, click the Save button in the top-right corner of the page.
4. Enable the Agree to Terms Checkbox Module
To activate the module, click the Enable button at the top of the page: