Complying with privacy laws and regulations is hard — Merchant’s Cookie Banner module helps you meet the legal requirements.
In the screenshot below, you can see an example of Merchant’s Cookie Banner module on the frontend of a WooCommerce store:
Let’s see how you can set up Merchant’s Cookie Banner module and meet the requirements of various privacy laws around the world.
The good news is that WordPress takes privacy fairly seriously and includes a couple of default privacy settings and guidelines.
Second, it has a dedicated Privacy area that you can reach from the Settings > Privacy menu in the left sidebar:
It will also link to it from the login page of your website:
3. Open the Cookie Banner Module
Under the Protect Store heading, click the Cookie Banner module to open its settings page:
4. Configure the Module’s Settings
On the module’s admin page, find the Settings section, and configure the settings. You get access to the following options:
- Theme – Here, you can choose whether you want to show a floating or fixed cookie banner.
- Bar text – This is the text that Merchant will show on the cookie banner (default text: ‘🍪 We’re using cookies to give you the best experience on our site.’).
- Cookie duration (days) – This is the duration of the cookie Merchant sets in your user’s browser. Once they click the button, the cookie banner will disappear for this duration from your website (e.g. if you set it to 365 days, the banner will re-appear for that user after 365 days).
- Show close ‘x’ button – Here, you can show or hide the close button shown in the top-right corner of the cookie banner.
Once all the settings are configured, click the Save button in the top-right corner of the page.
5. Customize the Design of Your Cookie Banner
Merchant also allows you to customize the style of your cookie banner. You can find the Style section under the Settings section on the module’s admin page.
You get access to the following options:
- Modal height – This is the height of the cookie banner in pixels.
- Modal background color – You can use a color picker to change the background color of the cookie banner.
- Text color – Here, you can change the color of the text shown on the cookie banner.
- Button background color – Here, you can change the background color of the consent button.
- Button text color – This is where you can customize the text color of the consent button.
If you are happy with the style of your cookie banner, click the Save button in the top-right corner of the page.
6. Enable the Cookie Banner Module
Finally, you need to activate the module. To do so, click the Enable button at the top of the page: